Monday, July 9, 2007

Transcription Work

I am always ready to try any work, as long as it is legitimate. I am also willing to learn new skills. The latest work that I've been doing is transcribing audio files.

I don't have any transcription experience but I got myself hired as a transcriber. I have been transcribing conferences and interviews on different topics. I am still learning the ropes but I think I'm getting better in every assignment.

I am getting a minimum of $15 per audio hour transcribed. At the start, I thought I could easily transcribe 3 audio hours daily, but I was greatly mistaken. Truth is, it took me about 4 hours to transcribe a 10 minute audio file the first time. Ha ha... so much for going into transcription work full time. But I was never a quitter and although I felt like I had to accept the fact that I'm no good at it, I still persevered and improved slowly.

What I find irritating is when the person in the recording is talking like he's got a stuffed nose and with his head inside a pail. You'd think people will talk clearly when they're doing an interview. Some people have a habit of mumbling and not completing sentences. I will not talk about their grammar anymore as it will just make my head ache.

Another thing that slows me down in my work as a transcriber, is the need to research proper names and some terms mentioned in the audio, not to mention that I'm not really a pretty fast typist. But I do enjoy transcribing when the voices are clear and the topics are not too technical. I also learn about some stuff, while working, and that's a good thing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey eagerblogger! thanks for commenting on my blog.. I think this work is very difficult for me, not my cup of tea.. you're actually write back what ever people said in the recording right? so, you must have sharp ear... hahaha
please visit my blog again.. i have a lot of things installed for you...

Anonymous said...

Hi ^^ thx for the add at BC! Where are you working at? I'm working as a freelance translator for a web agency

And that transcription work sounds interesting. Let me know ^^

Usagi

tough jelly said...

I was wondering how you got into transcription without the experience. I would really appreciate any tips you could give me, as I would really like to start.

I have enjoyed reading you posts. Thanks

eagerblogger said...

hello Bridget!

I just thought I could do it and gave it a try. The company I'm working for did not ask for any previous experience but I was given a trial work to determine if I have the knack for it. They said I did well. Of course they did not know it took me 4 hours just to transcribe a 10 minute audio the first time I did it, lol. But I got better as the days passed and as more assignments came my way my typing speed also improved. If you want to give this work a go, you better prepare yourself for irritating speakers who seem to enjoy eating what they're saying and it is expected of you to do a bit research to get the right words esp. with proper nouns.

Hope that helps!

alanna.kingschamp said...

hello,
came across your blog while searching about online transcribers.
got interested about you being into the field without any experience. can you tell me more about where you work? am looking for home-based part-time job and i guess transcription is an interesting one... thanks

eagerblogger said...

Hello alanna!

Thanks for dropping by. I got my transcription work from Craigslist. You can try looking for work there. If you are a fast typist and have experience, then there are more opportunities waiting there for you. There are lots of companies looking for full-time or part time transcribers.

Honestly I'm pretty slow in typing but I was very determined to give it a go so I got myself a job transcribing audio files. I recently stopped transcribing because of family concerns.