Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Transcription Work (Part 2)

Transcribing audio files is really tough if you don't have any transcribing tool in place. One tool I can do without is a transcription playback software. In my case, I discovered and made use of Express Scribe, a free transcription helper software. I haven't tried any other software yet. I'm quite satisfied with Express Scribe and it has really helped me in my work.

I don't have a foot pedal and I don't have any plans of getting one since I'm not exactly a full time transcriber. I don't know if it will make a big difference in the amount of work I can get done, but at this point it's not really practical for me to buy a foot pedal.

With Express Scribe installed on my computer, I am able to adjust the playback speed from slow to fast. I can also rewind, play, stop and do other things with the recording using my keyboard. I just haven't figured out yet how to completely do away with the mouse while transcribing.

I've noticed that sometimes I am able to comprehend the recording better when I'm listening from a distance (I don't like using headphones at all), sometimes it's clearer when you are nearer. Getting another person's opinion is also necessary to clear out some incomprehensible speaker (maybe I'm just the one who can't seem to get it, ha ha). But sometimes, it's just simply an impossible task for anybody to figure out what was said in the recording (imagine a person talking with a stuffed nose and his head stuck in a pail).

My typing and listening skills are improving and I'm also earning. Pretty soon I'll be able to transcribe faster and earn better. Hmmm... it doesn't sound bad at all.

7 comments:

Fletch said...

Very interesting blog. I like reading about the ways in which you're going about earning a few pennies here and there. Amazing what odd jobs you can find out there...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the two posts on transcribing. I've learnt a thing or two. I had quite the same experiences as you when I tried transcribing. I am a journalist and as you found out, I realize just how long (more than you bargained for) it takes to transcribe just a few minutes of tape. First (and last time), it took me on the average 7 hours to transcribe a two hour interview.

I then realized that unless I find a solution fast, I was going to be increasingly reluctant to do verbatim interviews.

So I thought of outsourcing the transcription. It was a total disaster! After paying for the job, the result I got was so useless that I had to correct almost every sentence. With hindsight, I really do not blame the transcriber much because he was not present at the interview to understand the context, etc (or not hard working enough?). Believe it or not, that particular job is now stagnated. I am mightily reluctant to finish up the drudgery, but I guess I have to!

Thanks for the link to "Express Scribe". I hope it helps me.

eagerblogger said...

Hello Ginger!

I'm glad to know somebody's learning something from what I've been posting. :)

Personally, I give my best in every work I do. Going the extra mile is not alien to me but I have my limits too. I don't mind doing extra research to get it right but how can one transcribe the audio correctly if the speakers like to eat their words and all you can hear are mumblings? But beggars can't be choosers. :)

Anonymous said...

A foot pedal makes all the difference. I tried transcribing without it and just about went nuts!

The only problem is, after I bought the darn machine I haven't had any more calls for work! It cost me $200.00.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

~Sandy G.

Anonymous said...

I read your posts on transcribing with interest. I looked at it from the other side--as a person who needed help with it. First of all I had a terrible time emailing a sound file as it was so big, and then my virtual assitant was so slow that the cost would have been prohibitive. So I gave up. Nice to know I now have a resource for it.

xxxloixxx said...

Hi! I like your blog and your ideas.

Thanks for dropping by my site. I haven't tried Bookworm Adventures, will try it out soon! =p

*Marie* said...

I didn't know one could do transcribing without any training. Where do you find this specific work?