Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Looking For Online Job

Some readers of this blog have been asking me where I got all my paying jobs from. With the World Wide Web at your disposal, there are many sources for jobs online but the real question is, how can you differentiate a scam from the real thing? Well, you can't really tell but there are ways you can employ to lessen the risk of falling prey to scammers.

Check out the web site. If a web site is mentioned in a job ad, make sure you give it a visit and check its contact information. A single different number, letter or symbol is already a big difference so be attentive to details. You can also do a "who is" query about the site.

Google it. Search the company and add the word scam, complaints or whatever other word you can think of, to know more about the experiences, especially negative ones, of other people with regards to the company. You can use whatever search engine you like, I just prefer to use google.

Trust your gut feel. In case of doubt, don't. If you smell something fishy, then it's more likely there's a stinking fish in there. Move on to the next opportunity.

Don't give out too much details about yourself. Unless you are very sure about the legitimacy of a company, it's advisable to be prudent. You can certainly enumerate your skills and previous work experiences but be very careful in giving out your personal details. Identity theft is something you should be wary of.

Now, where can you start looking for online jobs? Ad jobs are everywhere. If you are interested in bidding for work, you can try sites like Getafreelancer or Elance. I personally haven't won any bid yet as I don't like bidding too low. My time is precious and I believe I'm making a fair bid. There are just other jobseekers who are willing to work for almost nothing just to get a rating. Some people complained of not receiving their promised pay after winning and accomplishing the work so you have to take note of this risk.

Craigslist is also a good source of work but it's also littered with scammers. You just have to take extra precautions and carefully screen the work offers. Another site I visit is Genuinejobs.

While it might not help you find jobs directly, joining online forums can be worthwhile. You can get involved in discussions with like-minded people and get tips on how or where they get their work. There could be times when someone will post a wanted ad or get to know you in the forum and offer you a job.

1 comment:

*Marie* said...

Hi, I just found your blog today. I really like it! You are very down to earth and easy to read about.
This post was interesting. I've wondered about it, and you have given some great info here. Thank you!
I will be back to keep reading. Great Blogging!
-Marie